When Google integrated YouTube with Google+, their aim was to make it much easier for online marketers to control both their YouTube and Google+ accounts as well as the community they build on both platforms. Although the integration has worked well for most users and its goal has been largely met, there have been a number of issues that took quite some time for Google to iron out. One of these was that the integration no longer allowed people to move YouTube channels created from May 2009 onwards from one Google account to another.
If you, too, are among those who were deeply bothered by this aspect of the YouTube/Google+ integration, then you’ll be glad to know there is now a solution. Google has felt your pain and now allows users to move YouTube channels to a different Google+ Page or Profile via a Channel Transfer Tool. This tool basically allows you to match up your YouTube channels with whatever Google+ account you want. If you’re a marketer who manages several YouTube channels and Google+ accounts at the same time, then this is definitely good news for you, as it will make your life a whole lot easier.
Connected to Wrong Google+ Page/Profile
Okay, lets’ suppose your YouTube channel was inadvertently connected to the wrong Google+ Page or Profile (You’re managing several channels and profiles at once. It’s understandable to make this kind of mistake once in a while.). How do you correct this mistake? Can you still correct it? The good news is, you can. Even better news is that it’s easy enough to do so. Here’s how:
- Sign in to the YouTube channel that was mistakenly connected to the wrong Google+ Page/Profile. If the channel is currently connected to a Page, then you should sign in to the Page owner account. This means you have to be the channel/Page owner in order to pull this off. If you’re not the channel/Page owner and the owner is simply asking you to carry out the process on his behalf, then you should make sure you have all the information you need (account passwords, etc.).
- Click on the gear icon at the upper right corner of the screen and then click on the “Advanced” option.
- On the next screen, you’ll find a “Move channel to different Google+ profile or page” option. When you click on this option, you will be prompted to enter your account password. Provide the corresponding password to be brought to the page containing information about the channel and the Google+ account it is currently connected to.
- Click on “Select desired page or profile.” You will be given a list of all available pages and profiles where you can move the YouTube channel. Note that you cannot move the channel to a page or profile associated with a different email address; Google+ accounts under different email addresses will not appear on the list of options provided.
- Choose the page or profile you wish to move your YouTube channel to and then click on “Move Channel.” Review the details of how your channel will appear on the new page/profile and then click on “Move Channel” again.
So, now you’ve connected your YouTube channel to a different Google+ page/profile. This means all the playlist settings, video content, subscriptions, and subscriber base of the channel, along with the channel name, are now transferred to the new Google+ page/profile. However, all private messages, channel icons, and Google+-based comments and messages will remain with the Google+ page/profile originally connected to the YouTube channel.
Desired Google+ Page/Profile Not in Available Options
What if, when you get to the page where you click on “Select desired page or profile,” you don’t see your desired page/profile on the list provided? Is there still a possibility that you can transfer the YouTube channel or not? The answer to this question will depend on why your desired page/profile isn’t on the list in the first place. There are two possible reasons:
- Your desired Google+ page/profile may already be connected to a YouTube channel.
- Your desired Google+ page/profile may be owned by a different Google account.
In the first instance, you need to remember that a Google+ page/profile can be connected to only one YouTube channel at a time, in the same way a YouTube channel can be connected to only one Google+ page/profile. Therefore, if the page/profile you wish to transfer a channel to is already connected to another YouTube channel, you will have to remove that channel or choose another page/profile for the channel you are currently moving.
In the second instance, remember that you can only move the YouTube channel to a page/profile owned by the same Google account. This means your desired Google+ page/profile should be associated with the same email address as the one your YouTube channel is currently connected to. If you really want to transfer the channel to a page/profile owned by a different account, you can choose between these two options:
- Transfer ownership of the page/profile you want to move the channel to. Once that page/profile is already owned by the same Google account as the channel, you can proceed with moving the channel.
- Transfer ownership of the YouTube channel or the page/profile the channel is currently connected to. Once the channel or page/profile is already owned by the same account that owns the page/profile you want to move the channel to, you can proceed with moving the YouTube channel.
Should you choose the first option, here is a step-by-step guide on how to transfer ownership of a Google+ page so you can move your YouTube channel to that page:
- Log in to Google My Business and then choose the specific page you want to manage (or, in this case, transfer) by clicking on the “Manage this page” button.
- From the navigation ribbon on the left part of the screen, choose “My Business” and then click on “Settings.”
- From the top navigation menu of the next screen shown, click on the “Managers” tab.
- Click on the dropdown arrow of the person’s card and then click on “Transfer ownership to (manager’s name).” Note that you will only see this dropdown arrow if you are the page owner and you can only transfer ownership to someone who is a page manager.
- As soon as you click on the “Transfer ownership” option, page ownership is automatically transferred and you (former page owner) automatically become a page manager.
Note that just as only the page owner can connect a YouTube channel to a different Google+ page or profile, it is only the owner who can transfer the ownership of a Google+ page. Note as well that when you transfer ownership of a Google+ page, all other services linked to the page remain under the ownership of the original page owner.
If you opt for transferring ownership of the YouTube channel to be moved, note that you will have to transfer ownership of the Google+ page to which the channel is currently connected. And as mentioned above, the person to whom you wish to transfer ownership should be a manager of the page to be transferred. Here is a step-by-step guide on how to transfer ownership of a YouTube channel:
- Sign in to the page owner’s Google account (the “page” being the one currently connected to the YouTube channel you wish to move).
- Go to YouTube and choose the channel you plan to move.
- Go to that channel’s account settings, add the owner of the page to which you plan to move the channel as a manager if he isn’t already one, and then click on the dropdown arrow below that person’s name. Click on “Transfer ownership.” You may now move the channel to any Google+ page or profile that person owns.
There may also be instances wherein you don’t necessarily want to move your YouTube channel, but simply want to change the channel’s name. Note that a YouTube channel automatically reflects the name and photo on the Google+ page or profile it is connected to. Note as well that you can only change the channel’s name on a desktop or laptop computer. Here’s how:
- Sign in to the YouTube channel.
- Click on the Guide at the upper right corner and then click on “My Channel.”
- Point the cursor at the channel name and then click on the pencil icon.
- Go to “Account Information” and then click on the “Change” tab next to the channel name.
- Provide the new name you desire.
Google+ allows you to change your channel name a maximum of three times within 90 days. If you want to change the channel name a fourth time, you will have to wait until after the prescribed 90-day period has passed.
Whatever issues may have arisen as a result of the YouTube/Google+ integration, you can be sure there will always be ways to resolve them.